Dear Tobacco,

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Dear Tobacco,

I learned a new term for you today. Or, rather, I learned a new word for Cigarette. It was a brief comment in the middle of a well written rant/blog that identified 'cigarette' as a capitalistic term, and that really all they are are tobacco rolls... tobacco rolls that sometimes have filters.

It makes sense that the term 'cigarette' is a marketing term in addition to the description of a mini cigar. So who thought up the term 'cigarello' then?

I doubt I'll make the verbal transition to using the term tobacco roll instead of cigarette, but I will try to incorporate that term into my letters to you.

Since Eric's death and my starting letters to you I've noticed you a lot more. The litter you help generate, the way you convince people that they need you, they way that your Addicted Truth is a lot like the same Addicted Truth that alcoholics and other drug addicts use, and that you often bring out the worst in people.

Remembering the ways that I've been impacted by you has been an enlightening and depressing journey. Everyone I know has had to consciously decide how they want to be involved with you. Everyone I know has a stance on you. Everyone I know hates you, or loves to hate you even though they smoke. I can't remember meeting someone who says they love to smoke, though I would probably silently pity anyone who did say that knowing their belief that they love you is an Addicted belief. You have this disgusting amount of power over people and this world - it's a toxic power that pulls the wool over so many eyes.

It's not just tobacco rolls that people turn to.. there are lots of ways to imbibe in your seductiveness, be it snuff or smokeless or whatever. Now I've got to think about what to call snuff and smokeless - perhaps powdered tobacco and shredded lip tobacco?

I get tired thinking about you, but it's worth it. It's worth it to keep talking to you so that I don't get tempted to go near you. So that I can help others see how you hypnotize us with your smoky haze. I'm not really giving you 'the time of day' when I write these letters, rather I'm acknowledging you and coming to a conscious stance against you. I am conscious of you, and look forward to seeing less and less of you.

Someday I might get to say 'bon riddance' to you, but in the mean time you'll be hearing from me in these letters.

Stay tuned; not that you're going anywhere....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 

This site is a member of WebRing. To browse visit here.